A Toilet Hideaway – A Clean-Freak’s Nightmare?

The in-home airplane toilet

I love the jutting sink, and you’ll never hear me saying no to extra cabinet space. The hideaway toilet? I’m not so sure about that — it brings to mind images of airplanes and Greyhound buses. The bowl seems to be lost in space, like the plumber has temporarily set it down there while he prepares a more fitting spot for it in some other part of the lavatory. Plus, I can’t imagine a hideaway toilet would be at all convenient when plumbing repairs are in order.

What say you?

11 Responses to “A Toilet Hideaway – A Clean-Freak’s Nightmare?”

1. Toby Wollin December 17, 2007 at 9:36 am #

Well, however you would get to it to replace the innards in order to make it flush, you KNOW it’s going to a) create a huge mess and b) cost a bunch of money and c) possibly not be able to be put back together in such a way that ti will ever look the same again. There are times when going with “plain and simple” beats “stylish, fancy and hidden” any day of the week — and with toilets, I think “open and accessible” is the way to go (we just redid both of our bathrooms and “how do we fix this” was a major issue in the design work).

2. Bridey December 17, 2007 at 10:28 am #

I agree; it looks like a mistake. I imagine it would give guests pause as well … “Uh, you aren’t quite done with the bathroom remodel, are you?”

3. Miss Lou December 17, 2007 at 11:51 am #

I agree with you about it looking out of place and also about it being hard and expensive to fix. I also think of the practical. Having grown up in a house full of boys and assigned the lovely chore of cleaning the powder room, what comes to mind are men (whether they live there, are children or guests) who don’t have perfect aim and the damage to the lovely cabinets. *shudder*

4. texasexile December 17, 2007 at 1:59 pm #

Noooo. It looks like a trick toilet to me. I would tire of verifying that it actually worked before anyone used it!

5. class-factotum December 17, 2007 at 2:12 pm #

Where is the toilet paper? It can be quite frustrating not to have it within easy reach.

6. raincoaster December 17, 2007 at 4:13 pm #

A) congrats on the launch
    B) I’ve seen toilets that were so refined they looked like the sawed-off tops of Grecian columns (Doric, I think). There’s even one called a Hat Box, that looks like you could store your Abe Lincoln stovepipe hats in it. I suppose you could give them a good rinse, anyway.

7. Atomic Bombshell December 18, 2007 at 10:22 am #

I like the concept, but the color scheme could be vastly improved, and more curves in the design would help.

8. Chicklet December 18, 2007 at 11:09 am #

Good Lord. Aside from the practical concerns (cleaning, manly “aim,” etc.), it just looks stupid on aesthetic grounds. I’ve never considered the tank of a toilet to be particularly unattractive — I wasn’t aware it was such a problem for the home-decor industry!

9. Jennie December 18, 2007 at 11:42 am #

Usually these set ups have easily removed panels (clip system, not screwed in) I like it better than the biazzare toilet stands one sees for the extra storage. And if the cabinet is laminate, not wood, it would clean better from the careless mans aim problem. Or better yet! Get a residential urinal for the boys and let the ladies have the clean toilet…

10. elayne December 19, 2007 at 12:11 pm #

I think two other parts of the reason it looks “off” are #1, the wood flooring – laminate, I presume; dunno about y’all, but where I come from bathroom floors are pretty much always tiled, and #2, the fact that this picture gives the impression of a bathroom with a lot of space, into which someone has – just to be cute – installed space-saving features. If the bathroom were *truly* small and really *needed* a space-saving design, as mine does, I think it would work better. As it is, you get a sense of lopsidedness from the picture – one wall with all the busy cabinetwork and facilities crammed together, and then… lots and lots of empty space. A bolder color scheme might help a little with that, or even a different kind of handle on the cabinets. But overall, I think it would look better if the photograph had managed to convey the impression of “maximizing space in a wonderfully inventive way” instead of “putting needless cabinets all up on one wall.”

I L-O-V-E love love LOVE the sink, and also the base/back of the toilet bowl. (Never understood the need for all the nooks and crannies at the bottom of the toilet bowl; just that much more place for nastiness to collect.) However, it seems that if they’ve come that far with the toilet design, they could take it one step further and handle the tank in a similarly streamlined fashion without giving it the look of incompleteness.

11. Jo December 19, 2007 at 8:57 pm #

Never mind the toilet; what about the mirror? Unless you’re eight feet tall, you’re not going to be able to see yourself without standing on a footstool.