Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/home/public_html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme_20/admin/functions.php on line 229
Here fishy fishy fishy fishy! | Manolo for the Home

Here fishy fishy fishy fishy!

They have lots of room to roam

I’ve never really gotten the whole fish as pets thing. My experience with them begins and ends at the nomadic fairs that would roll through town in my youth. Remember the fish bowl game where you could toss a ping-pong ball and win a goldfish in a bag? I loved it, and I came home with a fish every time.

The problem? There weren’t enough fairs to support my fish habit, and those little fishies always died within weeks of my bringing them home. The lesson, I suppose, is that one should not adopt pets that have been traveling in the back of a carny’s trailor.

If I ever again feel the inclination to try my hand at aquatic pets — keep dreaming, kitties — I’ll snatch up one of these sweet aquariums from Octopus Studios. Who knows…maybe fishies that have plenty of room to move about and visit with their friends would live a whole lot longer?

9 Responses to “Here fishy fishy fishy fishy!”

1. Daniela February 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm #

I have fish as pets. I got these two cute, inch-long algae eaters and a couple of “fancy” guppies and a year later, my algae eaters are over 4 inches long, and I have one guppy left after carnivorous algae eater of unknown identity ate the other one, but not before he knocked up his tankmate.

Six weeks later I have more than 30 baby guppies which dodge Momma Guppy’s attempts at making her own sushi bar out of them. I’m down to about 25 baby guppies and know not what to do with them. Perhaps the algae eater of death will come and thin the herd.

Cool fishtank though. I’d actually consider that behemoth, but only if it could be suspended from the ceiling as art.

2. Never teh Bride February 13, 2008 at 5:09 am #

Wow, Daniela, you make fish siound a heck of a lot more interesting than I would have otherwise imagined! I don’t think I’d much fancy being a fish, being that it’s obviously a fish-eat-fish world out there.

3. Kristen February 13, 2008 at 8:29 am #

That looks really neat. Whenever I had fish when I was younger they didn’t live to long. Now I don’t have any but if I did I would want something like that to put them in too.

4. Phyllis February 14, 2008 at 8:20 pm #

Sort of a….Habitrail for fish?

5. jinnan-tonnyx February 17, 2008 at 11:45 am #

I started keeping fish because my husband is allergic to cats & dogs. When I saw the puffer fish in the pet shop I was hooked. Different species definitely have different personalities and also every fish is an individual. My puffer fish likes to prank my rainbow shark who is very territorial, and my tiger barbs chase each other around like kittens. Once you go beyond the basic bowl with a fish in it, it can be very fascinating to create habitats and see what your fish do.

6. netwrite February 19, 2008 at 12:51 pm #

Fishies come with lots of accessories. So that might make them enjoyable.

7. La BellaDonna February 20, 2008 at 3:10 pm #

I had to do some traveling for an acting job this weekend, and stayed at the Tarantula Arms Hotel. Despite its being Very Low Budget, it had not one, but two GIANT fishtanks, with lovely unusual fish in it, absolutely worthy of whipping out the camera phone and taking pictures. (In fact, a gaggle of Japanese schoolgirls, who hadn’t even noticed the tank, decided that if WE were taking pictures, then they obviously should as well. Go Fishies!) One odd rock-like creature took a shine to my cell phone, and followed it up, down and across.

And the fish were glorious colours, little shimmering rainbows (except for the great big rainbows, of course).

8. Never teh Bride February 20, 2008 at 4:03 pm #

I’m not sure, La BellaDonna, but that sounds like a salt water tank to me. My SIL got into that a while back, at which time I discovered that all the flashiest and most gorgeous fish seem to be the ones that live in the sea!

9. raincoaster February 22, 2008 at 7:04 am #

See now, if this Octopus Studios tank had an octopus in it, that might be fun.