Feminine Doesn’t Have to Mean Pink

We can’t deny that pink is associated with femininity and that femininity is associated with pink, but that doesn’t mean that we have to buy into it. One can, in fact, create a feminine space without reverting to splashes or even tidal waves of everything from amaranth to tea rose. I’m not saying pink is bad or ugly, but sometimes I wonder if society’s current lust for it is a sign that we women are being asked to revert to girlhood as part of that horrid quest for everlasting youth. So let’s get away from it without sacrificing that XX spirit, shall we?

feminine bedroom

Here are four overtly feminine bedrooms, all done in different style and in different colors, from blue (shown there) to purple, green, and a room that combines a lot of different colors to make one harmonious whole.

feminine bedroom

All right, so there’s some pink in this room and the one below, but it’s not screaming at you. The different shades of green dominate here, with white backing them up nicely. And how about that touch of blue in the chair?

feminine bedroom

I’d call this room ultra-girly, what with the quilt. There’s something very feminine about quilts, no? And the room below, far from being classically feminine, is feminine in the most modern way possible. Very clean and precise, but still pretty.

feminine bedroom

My favorite, however, is the first room. I don’t think one would have to be afraid of sharing it with a man, a la a very popular post from 2008.

(Images via Brian Park Photography, Domino, MiCasa)

6 Responses to “Feminine Doesn’t Have to Mean Pink”

1. michelleismichael August 7, 2009 at 8:06 pm #

i really like the bag in the top picture. anyone know what it i?

2. Two Wishes August 8, 2009 at 7:44 pm #

Beautiful! When we finally get around to setting up our 5-month-old’s nursery, it will be blue. Feminine touches like these would be lovely, but … we’ll see if I get around to that. (See: 5-month-old with no nursery at all.)

3. Rural juror August 9, 2009 at 11:10 am #

I love love love these. Thank you for posting them; they are perfect shorthand for modern English country or a modern, affordable Versailles-esque (terrible word, I know) style.

4. Rural juror August 9, 2009 at 11:12 am #

By the way, did you get them from Domino or the Micasa site? I know Domino is no more and I am not sure where to find these to get the product specifics on the Micasa site. Thank you for your help.

5. Never teh Bride August 14, 2009 at 9:50 am #

Two Wishes: I’ve got you beat with a 6 mo. old with no nursery! Though honestly I’m in no rush to kick her out of our bedroom…

Rural juror: The third pic down came from Micasa, specifically from here. And I love “Versailles-esque”!

6. Shirley Ellis November 11, 2009 at 8:36 pm #

The purple room is a good start but it needs to get girlier!